Winter is the perfect time to enjoy cozy, delicious comfort food that warms you from the inside out. Whether it’s a steaming bowl of soup… Read More
Retirement is something to celebrate! This is an accomplishment and means one is entering a new chapter in life. The generation nearing or entering retirement is more numerous than ever. AARP has a wealth of advice to prepare for retirement and enjoy your retirement to the fullest. Whether you know someone who is retiring, are planning on retiring yourself, or are looking for ways to celebrate after retirement, there are plenty of ways to honor the occasion!
One common trend among people who reach retirement age? Having some form of hearing loss. Whether brought on by aging, environmental factors or genetics, it’s a fact that hearing loss affects one in three people who are over the age of 65, and that increases to one in two by age 75. If you or someone you know is showing signs of hearing loss, connect with a hearing care professional and consider a caption phone to help them stay connected after retirement. An iPhone® or iPad® could also be the perfect retirement gift to help them stay connected on the go with the ClearCaptions mobile app!
There are a ton of options when considering what to get someone who is retiring. You can find lists and guides in a variety of places, but there are some common themes that can help you find the perfect way to celebrate the occasion.
Searching for a coworker or friend? A personalized gift is a perfect place to start. With the wide array of gifts available online, you’re sure to find something simple and easy they’ll love!
- Golf enthusiasts will love this decorative towel as they get more time on the green.
- Create a personalized newspaper highlighting their accomplishments.
- Gather the team and sign a personalized photo mat.
- Get something that can grow with this new stage of life.
Lean into the experience
Do you know someone who doesn’t have a lot of space for new things? Go for an experience instead! Creating a memory together or gifting a great time to a friend can often be more memorable in the long run.
- Get tickets for a favorite sports team or a local concert.
- Art classes, kits or lessons in a craft or hobby they’ve always wanted to try could let them stretch their creativity.
- Find something unique to your area, like a lake or river cruise, a local tour or even dinner at a favorite restaurant.
Are you thinking of a restless retiree or a soon-to-be snowbird? Or maybe you’re one yourself! Retirement is all about enjoying life to the fullest and travel is often a first step for many.
- Help them find the perfect place to go for their first retirement trip with National Geographic’s 50 States, 5000 ideas.
- Personalized travel luggage, tags or keychains can be the perfect touch to make a trip extra special.
- Help them keep travel memories forever, with a gift certificate to a photo service like Shutterfly.
Join the club
Membership in organizations like AARP can be a great start to getting discounts and savings tailored to seniors and retired people. There are also practical membership gifts like roadside assistance services. If you’re trying to think outside of the box, there are also other membership types you can gift!
- A subscription to a service such as a wine club can give them something to look forward to regularly.
- Food subscriptions are very popular right now, with a wealth of options for regular shipments of unique snacks or treats. Try out a cheese box, popcorn tin, candy assortment and more. The opportunities are endless!
No matter how you celebrate, retirement is a reason to cheer! It’s a time to recognize the accomplishments of the past and look forward to a new chapter in life. Whether you’re getting ready to retire, know someone special who deserves a retirement celebration or have already retired and want to celebrate your hard work, we hope these retirement gift ideas can help you bring out the joy of this special occasion.